Monday, August 4, 2014

Smooth Earth Snake photographs

These are some photographs of a Smooth Earth Snake I have taken.  I shot them with my Canon 5D Mark II.  My lens is a Canon MP-E 65mm 2.8 1x-5x macro lens.  You can take extreme macro photographs with this lens.  Smooth Earth Snakes are a common snake in Texas gardens.  I usually find a dozen or more every year.

 These small snakes only get about 8 inches.  They eat small insects and larva.  There are two types of Earth Snakes.  There are Smooth and Rough Earth Snakes.  Smooth Earth Snakes have smooth scales.  Rough Earth Snakes have keeled scales that make them feel rough.  These snakes are harmless and do not bite.
Smooth Earth Snakes are reptiles which mean they are cold blooded.  Like other reptiles these snake have to have the sun to heat there bodies.  They can sometimes be found in the open in grass soaking up the sun.  If they sense danger they will quickly retreat into the leaves.




These photographs of a Smooth Earth Snake were taken on some old white carpet in my garage.  I had found three of these in the yard that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment